The palace was built between 1860 and 1864 according to the order of Baron Alexander von Vietinghoff. Alūksne New Palace is one of the most outstanding late Tudor neo-Gothic style architectural monuments in Latvia. The palace was owned by the Vietinghoff Family till the Agrarian Reform in 1920. Now the palace houses Alūksne museum and Nature museum.
In 1342, the Livonian Order completed the construction of the stone castle on the biggest island of Lake Alūksne – Castle Island. The castle was consecrated on the Annunciation day, and the place acquired a new name – Marienburg. The inhabitants of Alūksne still recall the girl, Maria, who is said to be walled in the castle, therefore the island is also called Maria Island. In the flow of the centuries, the castle was ruled by Russians, Poles and Swedes.
The Southern Tower of the Livonian Order Castle’s Southernmost tower – the only one of the eight towers of an ancient medieval castle that has been preserved to a significant extent today – has been restored.
The Lakeshore or Old Palace is one of Alūksne estate buildings on the shore of Lake Alūksne. The stone living house was built between 1793 and 1794 in the classicism style and has undergone minor reconstructions. During the first period of independence of Latvia, in 1932, there was a hospital set up in the building. Between 1938 and 1944, the director of the hospital was the doctor, Jānis Keggi, whose son, Kristaps Keggi, has developed a close co-operation with Alūksne municipality.
Helēna palace is situated in the furthest end of Alūksne park, on the shore of Lake Alūksne. Baron Arnold von Vietinghoff built the palace at the end of the 19th century, and it was his daughter-in-law’s summer estate. During Latvia’s first period of independence the palace was owned by Alūksne Orthodox parish which purchased the property from the baron. Nowadays the house is managed by Alūksne Forest District.
Ērmaņi estate (German: Hermannshof) Masters’ House is situated in Alūksne region Maliena rural district. It is located on the bank of the Ievedne, not far from Brenci—Vecanna road. The estate was constructed in 1823. The Master’s House is the national monument of architecture and, since 1929, it is under the supervision of the State Inspection of Heritage Protection of the Republic of Latvia.
Ziemeri manor is mentioned in the chronicle already in 1550, when its owner Johans Felbergs sold his manor for 100 dallers to his brother-in-law, the alien Albert Zeimer (Albreht Seimer). Over the centuries, different times and a large number of changes of ownership have been experienced and relived. Nowadays, it is gradually becoming a residence of culture and creativity with a special atmosphere, where, surrounded by centuries, you will have peace, joy, enjoy relaxation and dream dreams.
Some information on Jaunlaicene estate can be found dated back from the beginning of the 18th century. Nowadays the visitors can still view 16 estate buildings constructed at the end of the 18th and the first part of the 19th century . There is no doubt that Jaunlaicene had been one of the most beautiful countryside estates in Vidzeme. For 170 years the owners of the estate were Baron fon Wolff Family. The father of the family, Johann Gottlieb II, built up the estate as a comfortable family house without pretentious luxury, and opposite the windows of the house he made “a little piece of a town”.
The construction of Lāzberģis (Fianden) palace was started in 1821 by Johann Gottlieb von Wolff, but it was finished only in 1860. The last owner of the palace was Eduard Boris Ernsts von Wolff. In the 1950s the palace was reshaped into the Culture house, and later several flats and a barn were fixed into it. Nowadays the building is partly destroyed.
The palace was built in the beginning of the 20th century, and it still attracts the visitors with its unique architecture, the old terraces and the tower. The outer walls of the palace are made of split boulders, and the windows and the doors match well with the architecture of the building.
Only four buildings, the park with ponds and two bridges have been preserved from the estate. One of the building houses the administration of the local municipality, a second one – the library and five flats. The horse stable has been rebuilt into the living house. During the soviet times, the granary of Mālupe estate was formed into the sausage factory though the production was never started because of the low profitability. Nowadays the granary is the Meeting House. Mālupe estate is the local monument of architecture.
Alsviķi estate palace (Alswig) – the neo-classicism style palace and estate buildings were built in the middle and at the end of the 19th century. Alsviķi estate obtained its name from Alsvigi (Halswig) Family, who managed this estate already during the time of the Livonian Order (1576-1586). The children of the owner of the estate, Nikalaus von Alsvig, received their rights on the estate according to the order of Sigismund III in 1590. After the devastating Swedish-Polish War (1600-1629), Alsviķi estate was uninhabited. In 1631, the Swedish King, Gustav Adolf, rented the estate to Niklaus Henrikam fon Taube. During the following centuries the owners of the estate changed several times. In the second part of the 19th century, the possession of the estate was taken by Baron Alexander Ernst von Wolff. His only heiress was his daughter, Anna, who inherited Alsviķi, Krāgaskalns, Nēķens un Rēzaka estates. In the 1890s Anna got married to Ērgļi estate owner, Rudolph von Tranze (Rudolf von Transche-Erlaa), who was the senator in St.Petersburg. After the revolution of 1905, the owners did not return back to the estate. Anna, the Madam of Alsviķi estate, died in St.Petersburg in 1921. In the beginning of the 20th century, the estate belonged to different organisations, but on September 1, 1939, after the two years of the repair works, there was a school for unmanageable girls opened. During the years of World War II, the German Army units were located in the estate. After the war, there was an orphanage, later – a boarding school. On December 8, 1966 the Special Professional Technical Secondary school No.12 was opened here, but later – Alsviķi Special Professional Technical Secondary school No.98 which was liquidated on June 21, 1991. Since September 1991, there is the State rehabilitation centre for young adults with disabilities.